Colors are important for the environment, colors are essential for our home.
Colors give meaning to things and places. What better way to add color to your home and surroundings than with plants? Plants with colorful foliage have a way of adding to the exterior of the home.
Colorful plants not only beautify the setting or patio, but can also be grown indoors, making the interior look just as pretty. Looking for ways to add color to your home? Read on to learn all about one of our favorite colorful houseplants.
Read it: Phalaenopsis Orchid: The Complete Guide to Culture and Care
Polka Dot Plants Wallpaper
|common name||Spot plant, flamingo plant, measles plant, rose spot, freckle plant.|
|botanical name||Hypoestes phyllostachya|
|Plant type:||perennial herb|
|the type of soil||Rich, moist, well-drained soil|
|soil pH||5.6 to 6.5|
The polka dot plant can be described as a short plant with shiny mottled leaves. Also known as freckle face, measles plant, flamingo plant, rose point, etc., points are native to Madagascar but can now be grown anywhere in the world.
The plant comes in oval or speckled leaves that give splashes of red, pink, purple and white colors against a dark green background. The plant is commonly used to add color to the garden and its surroundings, but can also be grown as a houseplant.
The polka dot plant belongs to the genus Hypoestes; a genus with over 100 species. In its natural habitat, the plant can reach about 3 feet tall; however, the ones you can find may be smaller, i.e. between 0.5 and 1.5 feet tall and 0.5 feet wide.
The polka dot plant is perennial; however, it is generally treated as an annual due to its growing history in warm climates. If you’re planning to grow a polka dot plant soon or need some help caring for it, we’ve rounded up everything you need for successful growth. Read more!
Polka dot plants will grow well if you give them conditions comparable to their natural habitat. Unbalanced light can cause your plant to burn or curl up and lose its color. For moles, balance is key.
Polka Dot Plant Propagation Requirements
Here’s everything you need to propagate the freckle plant, also known as the spotted plant.
The best light level for your spotted plant is bright, indirect light. In its positioning or location, your plant should be placed and grown in places protected from direct sunlight. Exposure to direct sunlight will burn your plant due to UV rays.
You can place it in a window facing west or south. Although the plant should be protected from direct light, it should never be in low light, the colors of the leaves will fade if they don’t get the sunlight they need.
A high-quality potting soil is fine for your plant, but you can mix in perlite, meat moss, and soil to thin it out and improve drainage. Your plant is interested in well-drained soil; therefore, you have to give it what it needs.
Humidity is important for your polka dot plant; It has a humidity requirement of around 50%. Your plant may be placed in humid areas of your home, such as the bathroom or kitchen, the heat and fog in these areas will make moisture available to your points.
If you live in a dry region, you can give your plant some humidity, for example by placing the plant in a planter or by placing several polka dot plants together. You can also purchase a humidifier for your home.
Polka dot plants thrive in moderate home temperatures. They should be placed in a range between 65 and 80 degrees F. They should not be placed in temperatures below 55 degrees at night. Moles are sensitive to cold, so it is necessary to protect them from its effects.
Your polka dot plant will appreciate and grow best in moist soil. You need to be careful as your plants don’t like their roots to be soaked for a long time as this can lead to bacterial and fungal infections. The best way to water is to let the soil dry out between waterings.
There must be a balance in the watering of your plant. Insufficient watering of the points can cause the plant to curl up. For more precision, you can create a watering schedule to suit your stippling needs. However, schedules must be adjusted as temperatures and seasons change.
You don’t need to feed your polka dot plant when you buy them or propagate them immediately, you need to wait for them to develop a root system or wait a month before you start feeding them, this is for the roots to are established.
You can start feeding your plant as soon as it is established, but you should dilute your fertilizer to half before applying it to your plant. feed your plant once a month, but keep it away from fertilizer during the winter.
Propagation of Polka Dot Plants
Propagation of polka dot plants is easy, they propagate best by stem cuttings, in water and soil. However, the water method is used by many people. Follow the steps below to distribute your points.
- Make sure you have a mature, healthy plant, and using clean scissors or a sharp knife, cut a stem about 1 inch long. Make sure your stem has at least 2-3 leaves.
- Remove the lower leaves and place the cutting in a container of clean water.
- Place the container in a location where you have access to bright, indirect light. Direct light can cause algae growth and this can be harmful to your plant.
- Change the water at least once a week and wait until your plant is about three inches rooted before repotting it.
- Put your plant in a pot with high quality soil (or a mixture) and let your plant grow normally.
- As with the watering method, you should have a healthy plant from which you can cut the stem. Make sure there are at least 3 leaves in your cutting and cut off the bottom leaves.
- Prepare your pot of potting soil, as mentioned above; you can mix sand, perlite and peat for porosity.
- Gently dip your plant into the soil and use your hands to firm it down.
- Water it frequently and within a few weeks your plants should develop their root system.
Polka dot plant: how to take care of your mole
- Like many houseplants, the mole may not have as many pest and disease problems; however, you may want to monitor your plant for mites. If you find that your plant is bothered by mites, you can treat it with biological control agents, namely neem oil.
- Overwatering can cause your plant’s roots to rot, make sure your pots have drainage holes and the soil drains well. You should also create a watering schedule that keeps the soil moist but not dry.
- The mole needs a balanced amount of sunlight. If placed in direct sunlight it will burn and if placed in low light conditions it will start to curl and lose color. You need to make sure your plant receives indirect light.
- The mole is considered harmless to animals and humans.
- Spotted plants can grow tall when there is space around them or when they don’t get enough light. The size of your plant will hold them in place.
Prices obtained from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. All price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase applies to the purchase of this product.
There are more than a variety of dots, when you want to buy, you can choose the color you want. Polka dot plants are easy to grow and less stressful when placed in the right conditions.
Read below: Variegated Rubber Tree Plant: The Guide to Growth and Care (2021)