More and more people prefer to have an outdoor space to enjoy when the weather is nice. In the real estate sector, houses with terraces are highly sought after. If we’re lucky enough to have one, we’d better take advantage of it. For this, it is very important to use an adequate decoration of the outdoor terraces to our liking.
This is precisely the subject of this article. We will give some ideas on how to decorate a terrace, the type of floor to install and the possible solutions to obtain a little more privacy in our outdoor space.
Ideas for decorating outdoor patios
When it comes to decorating our terrace, it is clear that what matters is our taste and the space we have. Apart from the furniture, what other elements can be placed there? Well, first of all we have the plants. We can choose the ones we like the most and place them in hanging pots, planters and normal pots. In case we want ceramic pots, here are some ideas to decorate them yourself. Remember that there are pots of different materials and colors, and with patterns or plain, so we can choose the ones we like the most and combine them best with the rest.
We can also buy specific decorations for the plants, which are buried in the ground inside the pot. These elements are very beautiful and even funny in some things. Besides, there are specific themes like Halloween, Easter or Christmas. Another option is to make them yourself.
Ideas for decorating terraces
Apart from these decorations to click, we can also place a small statue on the terrace, as long as we like it and adapt to the rest of the environment. It is not uncommon to see a garden elf on a terrace!
Certain fabric items, such as rugs and cushions, They make our terrace much more welcoming. The most recommendable thing is that these go together in terms of texture and colors. Another way to make our outdoor space more welcoming, at least when the sun begins to set, is to place garden lamps, candles or other types of lights. Not only will the feeling of comfort increase, but we will also obtain a romantic and warm atmosphere, ideal for enjoying a summer night.
Decoration of outdoor terraces: Furniture
Although it is true that we tend to think more of plants, pots, statues, etc. when we talk about decorating outdoor terraces, lurniture is also essential for everything to be beautiful and harmonious. To choose the right piece of furniture, you have to take into account some important aspects so that everything fits together:
- Design: The most recommendable thing is that the furniture is of the same design. On many occasions, we can purchase ready-made sets.
- Style: In order for our terrace to be a pleasant and pleasant place, it is better to keep one type of style. It could be, for example, rustic, modern, exotic, etc. We can choose the one we like the most. Of course, let’s try to make all the elements follow the same style.
- Color: Also the colors of the furniture, the floor and the decorative elements must go together if you want to have a catalog terrace.
Mistakes when buying outdoor furniture
But what kind of furniture can you have outside? Well, it is important that we acquire weatherproof furniture. We can read more about garden furniture by clicking here.
Of course, a table with its chairs has to go somewhere, so that we can have our meals and our coffee in our outdoor space. If we have enough space, we can even create a relaxation area with armchairs and a garden sofa. Other things that could be great and help us get some rest would be sunbeds and/or a hammock. But remember: We must be aware of the space we have. A crowded terrace with little space to move can be very overwhelming.
What can I place on the floor of a terrace?
It is not only important to know what objects, furniture and plants to place for a good decoration of outdoor terraces, but also the type of soil. It should match both style, color and design with everything else. It is also essential that it meets certain requirements, such as resistance to weather and time. We are going to see a small list of types of floors that we can use to make our terrace beautiful and resistant to constant wear and tear:
Outdoor flooring buying guide
- Concrete tiles: Concrete is a very resistant material, ideal for exteriors.
- Ceramic tiles: The ceramic tiles are really beautiful. But be careful: they cannot be made of any type of ceramic, they must be made of non-slip ceramic so that you are not afraid when the ground is wet, especially in the rainy season.
- Floor tile: Tile floors are very simple, beautiful and durable. Thanks to the small dimensions that they usually have, we can play perfectly with the corners, which will greatly facilitate our work when it comes to covering the surface.
- Terracotta tiles: If we want the floor of our terrace to look like the earth, the best option is to use clay tiles. They are very pretty and easy to combine.
- Add natural stone slabs: Stone slabs look great on patios and terraces and give a rustic touch to the environment. This type of soil is ideal combined with plants. If we have flowers or shrubs, we can place natural stone slabs around them to further highlight these vegetables.
- Stone slabs combined with grass: As we just said, stone slabs make a great combination with plants, so it’s no surprise that they look fabulous with artificial grass. We can use them to create a kind of path in the green of the lawn and achieve a nice contrast.
- stone cladding: The advantage of stones is that they will never be affected by bad weather or the passage of time. At most they can lose a little color, depending on the type of stone. We can find different types and colors of stones to cover part of the floor, or the whole floor if we wish.
- Combination of different stone types: Playing with the different colors and types of stones gives us a lot of possibilities. There is marble, river and sea stones, among others. I leave you here some ideas to decorate the terrace or the garden with stones.
- Drink: A very classic style is the wooden floor. It’s practical, it’s beautiful and it’s easy to combine.
- With synthetic grass: Adding green to the ground is a great choice and the advantage of artificial grass is that it doesn’t require the care that real grass does. In addition, it can be combined with different elements such as stones or wooden tiles.
What to put on the terrace so they don’t see you?
Having a good decoration of outdoor terraces is good, as long as you want or can enjoy it. However, on many occasions we are exposed to curious looks from neighbors if we spend time there. For many people, this is a downside to consider, as not everyone feels comfortable if they don’t have some privacy. But do not worry, We can solve this little problem in different ways and without our terrace losing its charm.
How to block neighbor’s view
- Parasols and awnings: With these elements we will not only gain privacy, but we will also be able to protect ourselves from air, rain and sun.
- artificial concealment: Shade nets or artificial hedges. Its installation is quite simple and they give texture and color to our terrace. Of course, we will need exterior wires and clamps to install the artificial hedges.
- trellis: They give a more aesthetic appearance to the railing or the wall. In addition, they help guide the growth of climbers. They are also a great option for dividing spaces.
- Plant barriers: Some examples would be rattan, briar, pine bark and bamboo. They are very decorative and rustic natural elements. Another option is to create plant walls that can be grown in large pots. Some ideal vegetables for this would be honeysuckle, herbs or jasmine.
- Concealment panel with height: A very effective and simple solution is to install a blackout panel on the terrace. These can be PVC, wood, polypropylene or metal. Of course, the higher it is, the more privacy we will have.
- Artificial vertical garden: In addition to being really impressive, vertical gardens are easy to install, 100% recyclable and protect against ultraviolet rays.
- Gazebos and pergolas: They protect not only from sun and rain, but also from outside eyes. They can be made of steel, aluminum or wood. The best thing about these structures is that we can customize them to our liking.
- Concealment net: They are very resistant to different weather agents as long as they incorporate protection against wind, humidity and UV. There are concealing meshes, metal meshes and plastic meshes.
I hope you enjoyed these ideas and tips! You can tell us in the comments how your decoration of outdoor terraces went.