Making cheese at home is very easy. It does not require too much cooking time, just 10 minutes near the fire, then 30 minutes of rest and it’s ready. This cheese is very nutritious and can be used in countless recipes or simply to accompany it on bread or crackers, learn how to make homemade cheese with just three ingredients, milk, lemon and yogurt.
- 1 cup plain yogurt (unflavored)
- 1 liter of milk (whole)
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
homemade cheese recipe
1) Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2) Let the milk boil.
3) Once it boils to put out the fireand add the yogurt and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
4) Stir the milk with a wooden spoon or spatula for about 15 minutes. The milk will start to curdle. If it is not completely curdled, add more lemon juice and stir.
You must stir while the milk is curdling, otherwise it will stick to the bottom and sides of the pan.
5) Once completely curdled, you will see the whitish or greenish whey and milk solids separate.
6) Put a muslin cloth or cotton handkerchief in the strainer and hold the strainer over the bowl or jar to catch the whey. Strain the curds through the cloth to separate the milk solids and whey.
7) Leave to filter for 5 minutes.
8) Next, gather the cloth, squeeze it lightly and place it on a plate. Put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to finish curdling.
9) After 30-35 minutes, open the tea towel and you will have the homemade cheese ready.
10) Cut it into slices or whatever size you want.
Storage and shelf life of homemade cheese
It keeps well for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Immerse the cheese block or cubes in water and store in the refrigerator. (Change the water every 24 hours).
When ready to use, remove it from the water, wipe it with a paper towel or kitchen towel and you’re done.
If not stored in water, it will dry out and harden around the edges.
What if you forget to put it in the water? If so, just before use, put it in warm water for 10 minutes to soften and moisten the dry edges.
To freeze it, put it in a zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze it. It keeps well for about a month.
Tips for making perfect, creamy homemade cheese
Above all, use good quality milk. If the quality of the milk is better, the end product will also be
Never use too much lemon juice to curdle the milk. Always start small. If you add too much, the cheese will have a slight taste, which is not a good thing. On the safe side, it uses sour yogurt which does not impart its flavor to the final product.
Never pour the cream on the milk. This cream will help make a good, rich cheese.
Once the milk boils, turn off the heat and begin curdling the milk. If you forget to turn off the heat, you will get hard cheese.
Curdle the milk completely, until you see greenish whey.
Once curdled, drain immediately. So prepare a cloth and a strainer before you start doing it.
It may also be interesting to read: How to make tomato powder to consume them all year round.
Do not keep it more than 30-40 minutes in the fire, otherwise it will dry out more.
Share this article on the networks: