Many times when we buy a house with a garden and we have other buildings or land that touch ours, it is usually separated by fences or walls. These can be unpleasant, careless or simply unsuited to our environment. Fortunately, there are different methods to cover an ugly wall.
If this is your case, I recommend that you keep reading. We are going to give some ideas on how to cover an ugly wall. I hope you will be inspired by the examples we will cite and that you will manage to create a space that you will completely enjoy.
Ideas for covering an ugly wall
The walls of houses or gardens are often unsightly. Either because they are old and therefore look worn and cracked, or because we simply do not like their style or color, thus becoming a boring and bland element that we do not want in our garden at all. or our terrace. But do not worry, With a few ideas and imagination we can transform any wall that we don’t like into a highly decorative element.
One of the best options to decorate any corner, piece of furniture or wall are the plants, without a doubt. Its bright colors fill any place with life and increase its beauty. With vegetables we have different options to decorate an ugly wall:
- Vegetable crowns: While it is true that they do not last long unless they are plastic, it should be noted that they are extremely decorative and striking. You can buy one from florists or make your own with seasonal foliage. In the case where it is not a wreath with a dry eucalyptus and lavender design for example, it must be sprinkled with water so that it retains its freshness longer.
- climbers: Another good idea for hiding an ugly wall is to grow climbing plants, such as ivy, on it. They will cover with a beautiful green coat the wall that we do not like. Using trellis we can also cover the wall with another type of plant, but creating a very similar effect.
- Vertical garden: In addition to being very fashionable, vertical gardens are a great idea to cover an ugly wall, completely or partially.
- tall plants: Certain plants, such as small trees or bushes, will also be used to cover an ugly wall. They can be planted just in front, either in the ground or in a pot, to hide it behind.
Besides plants, another very decorative natural element is water. But how to cover an ugly wall with this liquid? There are water walls that can be purchased in specialty stores. They are basically like fountains, but wall-shaped. Although it is a fairly simple decorative element, it is very relaxing thanks to the constant sound of water and the fluid movement it gives to the eye. Although it is quite a modern style, as it is also a natural element, it is easy to combine with any style and transforms an ugly wall into something truly amazing.
Another good option for covering an ugly wall is to cover it. In this way we will make a bland and boring wall become a lively and striking element. Of course, the effect we want will depend on the color, tone and type of tile we are going to use. Of course, it is important to ensure that the enamel we use is frost resistant. Here are some coating ideas:
- Glazed tiles: We will obtain variations in tone thanks to the reflection of natural light on the wavy surface.
- Different shapes of tiles: Diamond, hexagonal or triangular. Thus the finish will be textured.
- Bricks: We can cover the wall with bricks and leave them as they are or paint them to our liking. An example for a modern environment would be to paint them matt black and combine them with different elements such as furniture, pots and plants.
- Textured plastic: On numerous occasions, the wall in question has holes, surface cracks and other imperfections. One of the most recommended methods in this case is to apply textured plastic. Not only will this beautify the wall, but it will also give it hardness and more durability against abrasion. Generally, the ones that look the best are those made of natural stone, since it is a material linked to nature. We can choose different colors such as gray, white, ocher, colonial yellow or terracotta. Everything goes to taste.
ornaments and furniture
Of course, one can also resort to decorations and furniture to cover an ugly wall. However, we must remember that if they are going to be outdoors, they must be made of weatherproof materials, such as stainless steel, stone or rattan. Let’s put some examples of decorations and furniture:
- laser cut metal panelsto hang on the wall and give it patterns and colors through a contemporary style.
- decorative floor lamps I already match the rest of the environment to hang it on the wall.
- Statues, fountains, etc. large so that the eyes fall on them and not on the ugly wall.
- Garden or wooden shed for fireplace and/or barbecue: If we don’t like a wall, we can also just put something in front of it to cover it.
- Pergola: You can also place a pergola just in front of the wall and take advantage of it to create a chill out area, with a garden sofa and armchairs. Although the wall is somewhat covered, it will still be visible. Taking advantage of the structure of the pergola, we can cover the wall with fabrics to our liking or hanging plants, for example.
Wall art cannot be missing from this list. But what is it exactly? They are paintings made on a wall, as if it were a canvas. If we are good at painting, we can create one ourselves with special paint for exterior walls. If not, we will always have the option of hiring an artist to do it for us, first capturing the idea on paper before transferring it to the wall in question. I leave you with some cool wall art ideas:
- Natural and aquatic settings: Forests, plants, waterfalls, animals, submarines, etc. It will make our garden bigger.
- watermark designplay with colors.
- Mandalas or mosaicsalso combining different shades, shapes and colors.
- universe drawing, with stars and planets. At night, it can be very cool combined with a set of LEDs simulating the brightness of the stars.
- A window that gives another landscape on a white wall. How about some sea views?
- Yes something fun: Why not draw a realistic door for our guests to confuse? At least the first time…
How to cover an ugly wall: Recommendations
Now that we’ve given you some ideas on how to cover up an ugly wall, we’re going to give you some tips and tricks for making some of the examples we mentioned earlier. In case you choose to cover the wall of a vertical garden, it is important to take certain precautions. It is essential that the wall in question is resistant and that we protect it from humidity, if not, we will end up charging it. And in the event that climbing plants are chosen, it is better that they are not very resistant so that no one can climb them, just in case.
You also have to be careful if you have pots hanging on the wall. When it comes to watering it is very important to watch for water spills that occur during this activity, especially if the pots are permanently anchored to the wall. Of course, this is to prevent moisture from seeping in and possibly destroying the wall.
wallpaper the wall
When it comes to covering a wall, there are also a number of aspects that must be taken into account to ensure that it goes well. The layer we are going to place It should not only perform a decorative function, but also a protective one. Among the materials that exist for this task, we can find artificial or natural stones, plaster, cement, ceramics, tiles and prepared wood. The most important thing when choosing is that it matches our tastes, the style of our home and also the budget.
Regarding coating with textured plastic, In this case, it is very important that the base is clean and smooth. That is: No dust, irregularities, cracks or stains of any kind. When applying the product, we must do it in two layers. The first will serve as a base, while the second will give it texture. It should be noted that everything we use to cover the wall must be waterproof, as well as permeable to water vapor. In addition, it will be essential to regularly maintain and maintain the wall.
You have already come across several different ideas on how to cover an ugly wall. But remember that the imagination has no limits. You can take any of the examples we have mentioned in this article and adapt it to your liking and also combine different options. In the end, it’s all a matter of taste.