One of the best ways to take full advantage of our gardens is to decorate them harmoniously and to our taste. Of course, there are many different styles, each with their own particular characteristics. However, all things rural are gaining a lot of traction, so it’s no wonder more natural designs are becoming increasingly popular. For this reason, we are going to talk in this article about charming rustic gardens.
Specifically, we will explain what these types of spaces are and we will give you some ideas so you can take inspiration from it and design your garden with this style. I hope that with this information you can create the garden of your dreams.
What is a country garden?
Before giving you some ideas for charming rustic gardens, we will comment on what they are. It is an outdoor space created by human beings with the intention of imitating nature. In other words: It is a manicured garden designed so that human intervention is barely perceptible. And, in the elements where it is unavoidable, such as furniture, the most natural materials and shapes possible are used.
When designing any type of garden, including rustic gardens, There are several aspects that we must take into account:
- Field and its characteristics (inclination, available space, climate, composition)
- Availability of water resources
- additional elements that you want to integrate (furniture, decoration, paths, etc.)
Once we are aware of all these fundamental aspects, we can start thinking about charming rustic gardens. This involves delimiting areas, deciding how to place paths, looking at where to place furniture and other decorations, choosing the plants you want to grow, and whatever else comes to mind. At the end, It’s your garden and it should be to your liking.
Guidelines for Charming Rustic Gardens
If what we want is to have a purely rustic garden, there are several guidelines that must be followed, because it is a very characteristic style. Let’s see what they are:
- It should not contain elements whose style is modern, if we want a unique rustic garden. However, very cool combinations of both styles can be made.
- The vegetables we grow must have the same water needs to prevent certain species from being affected by the lack or excess of water.
- If we want to include paths in our garden, these must be made of wood, pebbles, terracotta pavers, gravel, etc.
- Materials to appreciate in rustic gardens should be natural, such as stone, wood, ceramics, cotton and esparto, among others. Glass or steel elements have no place in a 100% rustic garden, but they do in combined styles.
Charming Rustic Gardens: Ideas and Examples
Now that we know what a rustic garden is and what we must take into account when designing it, We are going to discuss some ideas on how to decorate it. Obviously it’s a matter of taste and the purpose of this list is to inspire you to create your own outdoor space with your preferences.
- Rock: This element is very basic in nature, so it should not be missing in our rustic garden. We can create paths, retaining walls or stone pools.
- Furniture: Choosing the right furniture is very important for everything to look harmonious. For the rustic style, if they are made of wood, they will look great, and the fabrics should have natural colors. We also have the possibility of buying or making our own furniture with pallets. You can find some ideas for that here.
- Decorative elements: To give it an even more rustic touch, we can opt for a series of very cool decorative elements, such as clay pots and jars, wooden carts as a container for plants, wooden logs that can even serve as bench, etc.
- Good: What could be more rustic than a well? If we already have an old one on our land, we can take advantage of it as another aesthetic element of the garden. Otherwise, we always have the possibility of building one with stones, even if it is only decorative. You have to admit, they have their charm.
- Pond: If we have money and space, we can put a small pond in our garden, and even with fish if we inform ourselves beforehand about the care they need. These small ecosystems give the gardens a lot of life and a very special touch.
- Character font: An alternative to the pond would be to place a stone fountain and thus include the water element in our garden.
rustic garden paths
In case you would like to include a path in your garden, there are many options. Below we will discuss some ideas and hopefully you will like or be inspired by them for your private trails:
9 rustic garden ideas
- Floor tile: We can choose them to our liking and intersperse them on the lawn. To achieve a more rustic vibe, it’s best to have irregular shapes. Handmade tiles are a very decorative option.
- Gravel with wood: Another option is to create a gravel path and place rectangular pieces of wood to walk on.
- Tiled gravel: It follows the same idea as the previous one, but instead of placing wood between the gravel, large tiles are placed.
- Tiles embedded in the lawn: It’s a simple design but it’s really spectacular.
- Lined trails: It can be very pleasant to delimit the path, either with stones or with wood. It will make the garden more organized.
- wooden paths: Instead of using tiles or gravel, one can also simply make a wooden path and place decorative elements around it, such as gravel or stone edging.
As you can see, there are endless possibilities for creating charming rustic gardens. If you’re still in doubt or aren’t quite clear about what you want and/or how you want your garden to look, it’s best to talk to a landscaper. Landscapers and garden centers can advise us on which plants we want to grow and how to care for them.