The weeping willow is a well-known tree among gardening enthusiasts, as its ornamental use is widespread almost everywhere in the world and it is easily identified by the fall of its branches.
In this article, we mainly talk about all the names by which the weeping willow is known, mainly common names.
Genre Salix it also includes about 400 species. In this article we also talked about the willow tree (Salix atrocinerea).
Weeping willow taxonomy
- Salix: generic name of Latin origin associated with the willow.
- Babylonian: epithet of Babylon (Mesopotamia), which is believed to have originated. In Psalm 137 (“By the rivers of Babylon”) the exile of the Hebrews from their country, Judea, to an unknown Babylon is lamented. This lament was made by the weeping willows in the rivers of Babylon.
Names by which the weeping willow is known:
The main name of salix babylonica It is the willow weptn, although other common names have also been assigned to it depending on the area where we are.
Latin names: Babylonian willow, blackout, European weeping willow, Levante willow, weeping willow.
- English: Babylon weeping willow.
- French: willow of Babylon, umbrella willow, weeping willow, weeping willow of China.
- The Netherlands: treurwilg.
- Germany: Chinesische Haengeweide, Gräberweide, Hängeweide, Tranenweide; Trauerweide
- Italy: Babylonian salice; salicia piangente.
- Chinese: chui liu.
- Japan: shidare-yanagi.
From willow we get a natural compound that stimulates the formation of new roots, known as rhizocalin. We cover this and other naturally occurring compounds in our article on hormones to stimulate rooting.
Short grow guide
- Distribution: cultivated in all regions of the world, but established mainly on the Asian continent, particularly in China.
- Climatology: resistant to different temperature and humidity ranges. Does not like very cold temperatures.
- Stage: clay soils that may contain a minimum of organic matter.
- Irrigation: sustained during the first years of life. Thereafter, it is generally not irrigated if there is a rainfall above 400 mm.
Learn more about how to grow weeping willow.